Tuesday, October 9, 2007

(Slow) response to questions

Sorry it took me so long--I haven't done a blogspot before, so I'm still kinda feeling my way through it. So here goes...

1) I'm Amanda Thrasher, currently still living in Boone as a music education major. I take about a million classes a semester, so I was really excited when Amanda messeged me about this. "Gasp! A Bible study that I can actually do!" I can't wait to start teaching, but I'm also really excited about trying to get a book published. So far a lot of agents have been interested, so it looks like things might start happening soon.

2) Theme song: wow, I'm awful at this. I'm currently listening to Greenday's "Time of Your Life," so we'll say that. It sounds good.

3) I believe that we have a responsibility to make a positive change in the world. I also think our current socio-economic system needs major reformation, which kind of goes along with the first thing.

4) I want to know why the church is such a source of hatred against the marginilized in society, when it's the exact opposite of Jesus' actions.

5) I have a special place in my heart for the book of James. To me, it's the cannonized version of 'actions speak louder than words.' Sometimes I think that in the wake of Paul, the church puts too much emphasis on faith and not enough on actually doing what is right. I think what's more important is to continue to struggle to have correct actions, even if sometimes you're struggling through a valley. Granted, faith is important, but belief in forgivness isn't the same as 'I can do whatever because I'm forgiven anyways.' I hate the way sometimes I lose sight of what I'm supposed to do, because supposedly belief is enough. I mean, it's not like redemption excuses us from all future infractions, right? We still have to work, I think. (Sorry if I just kinda dissed on Paul...)

6) I'd really like to learn more about the prophets. I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to that section of the Bible.

7) I don't really have any suggestions, but I'm really excited about all of this. Reading everyone's responses has been wonderful. Sometimes locked in the music building it's hard to get to know anyone outside of the bubble of musicians, and I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone. Everyone's posts are really deep and thoughtful, and a lot of it are things I haven't considered much. I guess I'll wrap up for now, but I'm so glad to be a part of this!!!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I feel like Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller addresses the question about the hatred of the church by our marginalized society. In fact, one of Donald's stories is of a group of students on a campus in Cali who set up a confessional booth for the christians to confess the wrongs of the church agains the society.
Pretty much, a history of extreme conservatism in America has jilted the progress of Christianity because conservativism works best when the person has personal convictions and an active, healthy relationship with the Creator.