Monday, October 29, 2007

I like John, too :)

First of all I want to apologize for taking so long to post. There have been other things demanding my attention. Some have been worthwhile, and others not so much. But I guess that is life.

My thoughts are random and unrelated.

Why do the Scriptures trace Jesus's geneology through fathers? Wasn't Hebrew heritage passed through the mother's line? Today children are Jewish if their mother is Jewish. Why, then, is patriarchy still so evident in the Scriptures?

Luke used to be my favorite book of the bible because I liked the Christmas story best. It is very visual, and more concrete. It makes great pageants. It makes great pict'sure books. But what does it really mean?
Angels appearing to shepards. That's a powerful image. A powerful statement. Glorious angels to lowly shepards. It's like appearing to dairy farmers, or trash collectors, or something.

One of my favorite bible verses comes from Luke. It's when Zechariah can finally talk again, and he's praising God. It's one of those blessings you read over and over again in morning prayers in the Epicsobal liturgy. This translation is from the Message, and I think it does the best job:
God's Sunrise will break in upon us, Shining on those in the darkness, those sitting in the shadow of death, Then showing us the way, one foot at a time, down the path of peace.
Now, though, John is my favorite. Because it's less pretty. Because it leaves a lot of room to feel and understand. I always feel so hopeful when I read John. I am like, Yes. That is the Jesus I know. (Which of course, is probably a sin of arrogance in itself.) But it's something I can put my teeth into, as well as my heart. It's something I can meld with the way I understand religion and the world. And Light. Quakers talk about Inner Light. That of the Divine in every person. I love that. It's such a beautiful way to approach the world.

It's interesting how different things were important to different authors, but it makes sense. Different things are important to different people, and different times in our lives. We each have our lense through which we see the Gospel. See the World. See God.

I don't believe in virgin birth, per se. I don't disbelieve it. For one thing, there's a lot of things Mary could have done that weren't intercourse that could have resulted in a kid. But for another . . . miracles happen. All the time. And who am I to decide about this one? I don't think it matters though. Or really the Resurrection. I think the most miraculous thing about Jesus is the way that he lived his life. Selflessy, beautifully, full of renewal and healing and honesty. I think that's important. That's what makes me want to believe.

This is unrelated, but due to my last week, I have some questions of my own. Afterlife, anyone? Do you believe in Heaven? Hell? Anything? Why? And why does it matter? And how does it matter? And if it comes down to it, and you don't believe in Heaven, and you don't have any answers . . . what are you supposed to tell your friend who's mother just died? Where does the hope come from, exactly? And God? Where does that all fit in? I am not expecting concrete answers. I've been around too long to hope for that. But I have been asking the questions, and I can't find an answer that's good enough . . . even for myself. I know it's something about love, right? But that almost seems childish. It almost seems not good enough.

Anyway, know that I am not bitter. I am just lost. Completely. And I would love to hear what you have to say.

The next readings are as follows:

Matthew 2:13-23 and 3:1-17 and 4:1-11
Mark 1:2-13
Luke 2:39-52 and 1:80 and 3:1-18 and 3:21-23 and 4:1-13
John 1:6-51 and 2:1-25 and 3:1-28

Peace.

2 comments:

althrasher said...

I was wondering the same thing not too long ago too. I've been thinking about how Jesus never really seemed to be talking about the "Kingdom of God" as a place we go, but a place established here. So I was wondering all this and I had a dream.
My uncle died of AIDS several years ago. We were more alike than any of my other relatives--if he had lived, we would have grown even more inseperable than we already were. So it was very heartbreaking. Well, I had a dream one night that I was in a house that was not unlike my grandparent's. I was standing in the hallway, and I knew that Uncle Steve was in the room just beyond that door--but I couldn't open it. I knew that he was there, though beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I didn't try to force my way in. I'm not conveying the emotion of it very well, but...I think I DO believe in the afterlife. And that's a big part of the reason why.

mandalyn13 said...

Thanks so much for sharing that. I really believe in dreams. I think God speaks through them all the time, and mine are often very emotional experiences. It's definitely something worth pondering.